Sophia graduated from Cardozo School of Law in 2017, where she was the recipient of the Telford Taylor Award for outstanding achievement in the fields of Constitutional Law and Human Rights. During law school, Sophia worked in two year-long clinics – the Kathryn O. Greenberg Immigration Justice Clinic and the Criminal Defense Clinic. She also served as the Executive Editor of the Cardozo Journal of Law & Gender, the Secretary of Cardozo’s Minority Law Students Alliance, and the Community Affairs Chair of Cardozo’s Latin American Law Students Association. She also participated in the CARA Family Detention Pro Bono Project in Dilley, Texas providing legal services to asylum-seeking women and children. Sophia spent her summer internships at the Sylvia Rivera Law Project’s Immigrant Justice Project and the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Immigrant Justice Project. She graduated cum laude from Fordham University with a B.A. in International Studies and a B.A. in Latin American Studies/Latino Studies. Sophia speaks Spanish.
- Buzzfeed: An ICE Detainee Has Become The First To Test Positive For The Coronavirus
- Vice: 2 Coronavirus Cases Confirmed in New Jersey Prison with ICE Detainees
- Vice: Immigrants Are Now on Hunger Strike in 3 ICE Detention Centers Over Coronavirus Fears
- The Appeal: ICE Detainees Launch Hunger Strike Over Coronavirus Fears
- Sophia Gurulé Presented City Council Testimony re: Oversight – ICE’s Escalated Attacks on NYC Policies Protecting Immigrants
- Gothamist: Bronx Man In ICE Custody Fighting For Release After Cuomo Pardons His Robbery Conviction
- Law360: Immigration Courts’ Video Evolution Stirs Due Process Fears
- Into the Gloss: The Bronx Defenders
- Vox: Ousman Darboe could be deported any day. His story is a common one for black immigrants.
- Gothamist: Immigration Court Interpreters Say Video Teleconferencing Makes It Difficult To Do Their Jobs
- Delete Your Account: Holistic Defense
- In These Times: We Can’t Stop the Horrors of Trump’s Immigration Crackdown Unless We Reckon With Obama’s Role