Luis Mancheno is an Attorney at the Immigration Practice. He received his J.D., cum laude, from Roger Williams School of Law. Luis worked as a Refugee Status Determination Expert for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the Dominican Republic and as an Immigration Attorney at the Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights Project in Arizona. In 2014, he was selected as part of the inaugural class of Immigrant Justice Corps Fellows in New York and was placed at the Bronx Defenders where he represented detained people in immigration and federal courts. More recently. he was a Clinical Teaching Fellow in the Kathryn O. Greenberg Immigration Justice Clinic at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
Luis’s writing has appeared in The Huffington Post, Public Radio International, and Vox. His immigration story and his work as an attorney have been featured in The New York Times, NBC News, and others. In 2017, he was selected as one of the 30 LGBTQ change-makers and rising stars in the country by NBC News and as the LGBTQ activist of the year by the New York City Comptroller’s Office. In addition to client representation, Luis works closely with the Immigration Practice and BxD’s Policy Reform, Community Organizing, and Communications departments in identifying and supporting non-legal advocacy strategies.
- NY1Noticias: Nueva ley en ayuda de padres que serán deportados: podrán elegir tutor para hijos
- BxD’s Luis Mancheno speaks with CBS News
- CBS News: Sessions announces stricter asylum rules for victims of domestic battery, gang violence
- CBS News: Seeking asylum: An immigrant’s journey to America
- POLITICO, WNYC, UNIVISION, others cover dual press conference
- HuffPost: Our Government’s Latest Betrayal
- The Place Where One Was Born Cannot Determine Our Access to Courts
- BxD’s Luis Mancheno speaks with NY1 Noticias’ Pura Política